Licence Courses

Firearms Licence

Target shooting or recreational hunting is a sport that can be enjoyed as a group or an individual. You will need to apply for a firearms licence. To obtain this you will need to complete a fire-safety awareness course and a pass the R-Licence course.

For more information, contact us today.

In New South Wales, you are required to have bona fide grounds for possessing and using a firearm such as sports and target shooting or recreational hunting and pest control.

Before you can apply for a gun licence, you are required to attend a safety awareness course. We are authorised to conduct safety training on behalf of the NSW Firearms Registry. It consists of theory and practical handling but does not include discharging your firearm.

You must bring identification such as a current NSW driver licence or an original birth certificate. You will be asked you to fill in a form to confirm your eligibility prior to the course. On completion of the course, you will get a Statement of Attainment which is only valid for 12 months. It is your responsibility to submit your firearm licence application, along with supporting paperwork via post to:

NSW Firearms Registry
Locked Bag 1
Murwillumbah, NSW 2484.

We regularly conduct safety awareness courses. To find out when the next course takes place, contact us today.

Helpful Links

NSW Firearms Registry licence application request

NSW Firearms Registry licence and genuine reason

NSW Firearms Registry safe storage requirements

Before you can apply for a NSW Restricted Game Hunting Licence (R-Licence) to hunt on public land, you must undergo training and belong to an approved hunting club. This ensures you are a responsible, competent hunter with a knowledge of laws, safety rules and animal welfare.

The R-Licence is a multiple choice, open book test which usually takes about 45 minutes to complete. Open book means you will be able to refer to the handbook for the answers. It’s designed to test your comprehension, not your ability to remember facts and statistics.

We conduct R-Licence Accreditation Courses as part of the Hunter Learning, Education and Accreditation Program (LEAP).

If you need assistance in reading and understanding the Hunter Education Handbook, assessment questions and any other information, contact the Game Licensing Unit on 02 9842 8351 or before attempting the test.

hvtm - outdoor equipment, clothing + more
gun with Australian flag